.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Horace “Adversity” Discussion Board

Discussion Board Essay #1 â€Å"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant,† by Roman poet, Horace. His statement implies that only misfortune may bring forth greatness. Ruin reveals true genius, in clover conceals it. The quote, â€Å"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant,† by Roman poet, Horace, wouldn’t mean much to me if it wasn’t so utterly true.Everyone faces some sort of adversity throughout their lifetime. Adversities or obstacles agreeably involve weighing one’s options and then deciding what to do. The decisions we make shape who we are. So consequently adversity plays a crucial role in developing a person’s character. In Richard Rodriguez’s Hunger of Memory, Rodriguez is left feeling socially disadvantaged from his inability to speak English. He also had Mexican immigrants as a child which coupled wi th all his other â€Å"disadvantages† led him to be studious.He became distant from his family and chose to become a student: looking towards teachers for role models. Without this disadvantage/ adversity, he wouldn’t have realized his true potential as a student and writer. How we handle adversity is what matters†¦ Take a common scenario, therapy for example, in consideration when viewing adversity. In almost all situations the psychologist will let you pour out all your emotions and troubles (adversity).He or she will then ask you how you feel and offer words of wisdom. Then you’ll make your decision. The psychologist will usher concepts of â€Å"taking responsibility† and action. Whether or not someone heeds this advice is up to the person and the path taken will always shape someone’s character. When facing adversity I would try to be optimistic, opting never to quit. I know the challenges of my life have made me who I am today and it has brought out a lot of my talents.If I had more smothering, wealthy parents, â€Å"prosperous circumstances†, I wouldn’t have been even remotely near the person that I am today†¦ The fact that I felt distant from my family at a young age caused me to be more independent (in school). I practically forced myself to learn, looking up to teachers as role models. In turn, I absorbed the merits my teachers valued. Because of them I always try my best and put quality over quantity. The extra attention to quality I gained has caused me to think more creatively and become more in tune with my artistic side. Word Count: 409

No comments:

Post a Comment